Cleeves' Western Collieries Ltd
Cleeves' Western Collieries Ltd were originally established in 1892 under the title of E. A. Cleeves and Co and first acted as sales agents for the Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen Colliery Company.
In 1904, they acquired the Western Anthracite Company, of Llanelly, along with the interests of the New Cross Hands Collieries Ltd and the Tirydail Colliery Company Ltd. Another change occurred in 1907 and in 1914, the company became Cleeves' Western Valleys Anthracite Collieries Ltd, with a share capital of £250,000. George S. Harries and Charles E. Cleeves were the joint managing directors, with interests in Cleeves, Jacqueline and Company of France and the Coal Trades Company at Amsterdam. Cleeves were the principal shareholders in the Gellyceidrim Collieries Company Ltd.
By 1923, Cleeves had a turnover of approximately two million tons of coal per year and their collieries were equipped with all the up to date equipment. Electric power was extensively used at Cleeves' collieries. Cleeves were also the English representatives of the Ergasteria coaling station in Greece.
Cleeves owned collieries at Cross Hands, Tirydail and Llandybie and employed approximately 2,000 miners. The company were also sales agents for Cwmgorse Colliery and Cawdor Colliery. They had branches in London, Cardiff, Llanelly, Newcastle and Hull. Cleeves also owned approximately six steam ships and exported to France, Italy and other parts of the continent aswell as to the USA and Canada.
In 1923, E. W. Cook and Company of Swansea, in association with Sir Alfred Mond, took control of Cleeves' collieries at a cost of over half a million pounds. At the time of the takeover, The Chairman of Cleeves Western Valleys Anthracite Collieries Ltd was Frederick Cleeves and the senior managing director was Major George S. Harries. John S. Cleeves was director of the London offices. Charles. E. Cleeves, son of Frederick Cleeves, was also a partner in the company and was also vice-chairman of the Coalowners' Association.
E. W. Cook and Co. of Swansea, were colliery proprietors and exporters of the leading qualities of anthracite and steam coals. They had branches at Cardiff, London and Paris. They also controlled the Tarreni Collieries near Pontardawe and employed approximately 800 men.
Cleeves' Western Valleys Anthracite Collieries Limited published a photograph album of their staff members who served in the Great War, 1914. A video slide show of the books contents can be seen below:
The information on this page was taken from the 24th May 1923 edition of the Amman Valley Chronicle. Many Thanks to Simon Snell for the Cleeves Photograph Album featured in the above slide show.