Some Captured History of Glanamman and GarnantWilliam Aubrey HayAs an active and well known member of the Cwmamman community, William Aubrey Hay was the man who was credited with raising the necessary funds to build St. Margaret's Church in 1933. William Aubrey Hay was the son of John Hay, who was at one time the manager of Garnant Colliery as well as others. William was one of seven children. His younger brother Thomas Hay, was for a time the landlord of the Plough and Harrow public house at Glanamman Square. Both William and Thomas were members of the Cwmamman Urban Council in the early 1900's. William Aubrey Hay was elected in April 1914; his brother Thomas Jones Hay was already a councillor by that time. On the 28th of November 1918, the Amman Valley Chronicle printed an open letter from William Aubrey Hay to the Editor, suggesting that the people of Cwmamman should build a Memorial Hall in honour of the Fallen Heroes. He stated that it should be large enough to hold concerts and that it should contain a swimming bath on the ground floor as the local children were at the time, swimming in the polluted waters of local rivers and ponds. William Hay wanted an honours board fixed up to contain the names of all the local people who had joined the Army or Navy, as well as tablets containing the names of those who died in the war. William Hay was the Hon. Sec. of the Soldier's and Sailors' Fund at that time. William Hay was a very keen follower of rugby and was secretary of Amman United Rugby Football Club. In recognition of his services to the club, a large gathering of players and supporters were present at the Half Moon Hotel (Amman United's headquarters), in September 1913, to present him with a gold watch and chain. When he became secretary the club was in debt, but due to his efforts, the club were by then substantially in the black. After the presentation, local bard and wit, "Ceidrim" (Edwin Rees), recited a poem that he had written for the occasion: If you'll all be quiet and listen, As a Sec. for the last two years It's all right to work in summer There's a lot to do with the Sec., He deserves the presents we give him After ten years of involvement with Rugby football, in June of 1923, William Hay decided it was time to retire. The Amman Valley Chronicle paid tribute to his successes and efforts, not only with regard to the Amman United RFC, but also for the contribution he made to other bodies. When William Hay became secretary of the Amman United, the club was practically unknown, but by the time he relinquished his position, the Amman was one of the most noted second class clubs in Wales. William Hay was elected as a member of the Welsh Union in 1921 and held the positon for two seasons. During his time as a member of the Welsh Select Committee, he visited the four countries with the Welsh team. His interests also extended to other sports and William Hay was captain and secretary to the Garnant Cricket Club and secretary to the Carmarthenshire Cricket League. By 1923, William Hay was secretary to the proposed Cwmamman Memorial Hall and secretary to the Cwmamman Park Committee. This page was created by Laura and Tabitha Michael. |