St. John's Ambulance Brigade: Garnant Branch
The above photograph appears to have been taken outside Garnant Council School in 1929.
The 31st of March, 1921 edition of the Amman Valley Chronicle, reported that the headmaster of Garnant Council School, Mr J. T. Edwards, had diligently promoted first aid for the past 6 years as part of evening classes at the school. Doctor G. E. Jones had been the lecturer for the past three years and Instructor, Thomas Jones of Stepney Road, Garnant had given the men plenty of practice at team stretcher work and other exercises at the assembly hall of Garnant School.
Examinations held by Dr. W. Owen Evans of Pontardawe
on the 10th of March, 1921, had resulted in 13 students having qualified
that year. Six students had recieved a the First Aid Certificate;
five students recieved Vouchers; one received a Medallion and one
received a Label of the Order of St John.