Thomas Thomas: Headmaster of Glanamman School
The 16th September, 1926 edition of the Amman Valley Chronicle tells us more about Thomas Thomas. We learn from the article that he was a native of New Quay, Cardiganshire and was educated at Bangor Normal College.
His first posting as headmaster was to Cross Inn School at New Quay, where he administered for approximately three years. He was then appointed headmaster at Llanbrynmair School, where he spent seven happy years. From there, Thomas Thomas moved to Glanamman and was headmaster of Glanamman County School; described as one of the largest schools in Carmarthenshire. He remained in this post for thirty four years, until his retirement in 1923, when he was presented with a gold watch by the staff at the school.
Soon after arriving at Glanamman, Thomas Thomas was appointed a deacon of New Bethel Congregational Chapel, where a close friend of his; the Reverend J. Towyn Jones M.P., was pastor. Thomas, a staunch congregationalist, played a leading part in the foundation of Brynseion Chapel, where he was to become it's secretary. He was also a member of Cwmamman Urban District Council from it's inception.
Thomas also held responsibilities within other groups. These offices included:
On retiring, Thomas moved to Aberystwyth, where he spent the last three years of his life. He died at his home, Awelfryn, Banadl Road, on 11th September 1926, aged 68. He left a widow, but there is no mention in the newspaper article of any children. One of his two brothers; J. Lloyd Thomas was retired headmaster from Llansadwrn School.