Some Captured History of Glanamman and Garnant
Blacksmith at Glanamman and Central Garage
Blacksmith at Glanamman, circa 1905
The above image shows the Blacksmith's which was once situated on the location which is now Central Garage. The young man shoeing the horse is named Esaia Rogerson who was an employee there. Kelly's Directory shows that in 1910 there were two Blacksmiths at Garnant and two at Glanamman.
It is known that at some point, there was a Blacksmith's situated on the land between what has since been Glanamman Pharmacy and The Plough and Harrow Public House near Glanamman Square. One of the Garnant Blacksmith's was situated on the opposite side of the road to The Raven Public House, possibly accessed from Dynefwr Road and this is shown on an Ordinance Survey map dated 1891. The same map shows a second "Smith" near the junction of Bryncethin Road and Cwmamman Road. The Garnant Blacksmiths were William John Evans and Edward John Lewis.
William Evans stood for election as a councillor on Cwmamman Urban Council and the 27th of March 1919 edition of the Amman Valley Chronicle listed him amongst the candidates, giving is address as "9 Prospect Place, Garnant".
The two Glanamman Blacksmiths who were listed in the 1910 directory were David Davies and William Walters. It is likely that the above image shows the business premises of David Davies as the site later became a garage owned by Jack Davies, known locally as Jac y Gof (Jack the Blacksmith).
By 1923, there was only one Blacksmith at Garnant and two at Glanamman; Edward John Lewis was at Garnant, whilst David Davies remained at Glanamman. William Walters was no longer listed in the local Kelly's directory at that time but another man, William Davies was now present in Glanamman.
Thanks to Catherine and Bleddyn Rogerson for the image of the Blacksmith at Glanamman. Information for this page was taken from Kelly's Directory 1910 and 1923 and the Amman Valley Chronicle.