Some Captured History of Glanamman and Garnant
Other Areas: The Cross Inn, Ammanford
The town of "Cross Inn", became known as "Ammanford" on November 20th, 1880. One reason is that there was already another town in Carmarthenshire named "Cross Inn." Another reason for the name change was to please the local religeous community who were perhaps not so keen on their town being named after a drinking establishment.
The man reputed to have suggested changing the name, from Cross Inn to Ammanford, was the popular Wesleyan preacher, Samuel Callard. He operated the Chemical works at Pontamman, which manufactured charcoal, acetic acid and sulphuric acid. The works closed in 1907 due to keen German competition and Samuel Callard died the same year. His son, Gwyn Harry Callard, trained as a teacher in London and emigrated to Canada in 1909.
After a meeting to discuss the town's change of name; held at the Ivorites Hall, Watcyn Wyn, the well known schoolmaster and hymn writer, announced that "Cross Inn" had been "Crossed Out!"
Ammanford square was the first location in Carmarthenshire to have traffic lights installed. A large crowd gathered to see Lieut. Col. W. N. Jones switch on the "automatic electrical road traffic signal". The event took place on a Tuesday evening; 21st of July 1931. The lights changed every 27½ seconds and could be adjusted to meet traffic conditions. The British made devices cost approximately £200, but the Ministry of Transport contributed 60% towards the cost. Councillor M. Cohen, who was chairman of Ammanford Urban Council urged both motorists and pedestrians to observe the signals.
The information regarding the Callard family was taken from an article in the South Wales Guarding, dated 4th September 1975. Info on the traffic signals was taken from the Amman Valley Chronicle dated July 23rd, 1931.