Madge Family of Glasfryn House, Garnant c.1903
The Madge family of Glasfryn House, Garnant.
Standing L to R: Joseph Stanley, Richard and Elizabeth (Bessie).
The Madge family were well known in Garnant in their day. Their family home was Glasfryn House, Garnant which was situated on Cwmamman Road, probably two doors east of Coronation Road. The above photograph was taken c.1903 outside the vicarage in Garnant.
Thomas was originally a native of Pontardawe, but spent the last 47 years of his life at Garnant. He was a regular attender at Christchurch, Cwmaman, holding the position of churchwarden for 15 years and superintendent of the sunday school for 25 years. He served the church in Garnant under five vicars. He worked at the Raven Tinplate works, Glanamman and when he died in January, 1928, his fellow workmen acted as bearers at his funeral.
All the boys, at some stage pumped air for the church
organ for which they received an annual fee of £1 10s.
Griffith John Madge was, in his youth, very keen on physical culture and wrestling and on one occasion wrestled 3 rounds with the world champion, George Hackenschmidt, "The Russian Lion."
Joseph Stanley Madge, was a successful competitive weightlifter in his youth and won several medals. He emigrated to Australia in the early 1920's with brother, Richard. Stanley's wife, Elizabeth, joined them in Australia 18 months later, with their two sons, Melvyn (born Garnant) and Vivian (born Rhos, Cil-y-bebyll). A son; Gwyn and a daughter; Nellie, were born in Australia
Joseph Stanley Madge
Stanley's son, Vivian, became a talented rugby player
(league code) and is widely regarded by older residents as the best
player produced by the town of Kurri Kurri, New South Wales. Recently
the town commissioned 40 murals depicting famous citizens and Vivian
Madge was one of those honoured.
David Brinley Madge (also shown in top photo), with
his wife and Sons
Thanks to John Madge for this contribution. Thanks also to Mrs Ann Williams. Some of the information on Thomas Madge was obtained from the 12th January, 1928 edition of the Amman Valley Chronicle. Thanks go to the South Wales Guardian for allowing me to use information from the Amman Valley Chronicle.